A caregiver who died suddenly may have died as a result of drinking too much – coca-cola, a inquest heard.

Stephen Payne died at home in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, on August 11 last year, at the age of 61.

Mr. Payne had been shopping with his partner, Tina Carpenter, whom he was taking care of, and the couple had stopped at a pub for lunch.

But an inquest held yesterday at the Beaconsfield Coroners Court found that Mr. Payne couldn’t finish his meal – which for him was “ out of character ” – and instead he had two Coca-Colas.

An inquest into Stephen Payne’s death found the 61-year-old diabetic drank two coca colas the day he died, which may have contributed to the tragedy

The Beaconsfield Coroner court ruled that Mr. Payne died of natural causes

But Mr. Payne died just hours later, after he started shaking and his words were jumbled.

And the inquest heard that Mr. Payne, who suffered from epilepsy and type 2 diabetes, and was medically obese, may have contributed in part to his own death – by drinking too much Coca-Cola.

Coroner Mr. Ian Wade told the inquest: “In his last days, by drinking a very large amount of Coca-Cola, he may have been unintentionally and unconsciously contributing to a serious deterioration in his general physical health.”

An autopsy found that Mr. Payne died of multiple causes related to his diabetes, epilepsy, obesity and toxicity in his body.

He was also medically obese and weighed 16 stone.

But the court heard how Mr. Payne had regularly canceled appointments with his doctor about his condition in recent years.

The inquest heard that on the day of his death, Mr. Payne felt tired and struggled with sore legs.

A statement read on behalf of his partner, who has learning and mobility problems, said: “About two weeks before his death, Stephen developed a headache and his legs felt tight.

On August 11, Stephen drank more water than usual and was thirsty all the time.

They went shopping around 10:30 am and Stephen had to stay put.

At noon they went for lunch in the pub, but he couldn’t finish his meal.

“He had two Coca-Colas because he was still thirsty. This was not characteristic of Stephen not to eat his meal. ‘

The court heard that in the evenings when the couple was home, Mr. Payne suffered from shaky hands and was very tired.

He sat down on his bedroom floor and refused to get up, and began to speak in confused words.

Mr. Payne told Mrs. Carpenter that he didn’t want her to call an ambulance, but after a neighbor came to help, they called one, and the ambulance arrived around 9:30 PM.

He did not respond when they arrived and was pronounced dead 30 minutes later.

Reading a report from Mr. Payne’s family doctor, the court learned how he was suffering from type 2 diabetes, but had regularly canceled appointments about his condition in recent years.

Mr. Payne was also medically obese and weighed 16 stone.

The coroner, Mr. Wade, stated that Stephen’s inability to control his diabetes, coupled with his activity earlier that day, may have been the cause of his death.

He said, “His doctor was clearly trying to help him deal with his illnesses, but he seemed against keeping his appointments.

“And to that extent he has unconsciously contributed to what seems to me to be nature taking its course.”

The coroner ruled that despite the number of factors involved in Payne’s death, he ultimately died of natural causes.

“It’s the most appropriate, if not the most compassionate, way to describe the end of Stephen’s life,” said the coroner.

“But it is not appropriate to suggest that this life was ended for any reason other than its time.”

This content was originally published here.